Tuesday 3 May 2016

Floating Flower

Morning all, I recently saw a card on Facebook by someone who said they had used the floating re inker technique to create it. I had never heard of this technique but liked their card so thought I would take a look on You Tube to see if I could find a video on how to do this. I'm so glad I did, I love the outcome! For those of you that have never heard of this technique before I took a couple of photos along the way and will try to explain how I did it. Here is today's card:

Stampin' Up! Blended Bloom

I would like to enter my card into two challenges today, firstly the Global Design Project sketch challenge and secondly the Cute Card Thursday 'No Patterned Papers' Challange. This is the sketch that inspired my card


So how did I make it? Well first I chose a stamp that had nice open areas that the colour could go into, I then stamped this onto shimmery white cardstock in versamark ink and heat embossed with white Stampin' Emboss powder. I used the shimmery white cardstock as this is thicker than normal Whisper White and great for water colouring techniques. Once I had heat embossed the image I used the lid of one of my button pots to put a drop of each colour re inker in. You only need a drop as it goes quite far and you can always add more later.


I then placed my card stock into an empty stamp case and spritzed the whole thing with plenty of water. Once the card was wet I took my aqua painter which is also filled with water and starting with the darkest of my colours dropped a small amount of ink into the sections of the flowers. Once I was happy with the dark areas I then continued with the other two colours.


If the cardstock starts to dry just spritz it some more with water. You really need small pools of water in each section for this to work properly. As I was cutting out my image once finished I wasn't worried if I went outside of the embossing. Once finished colouring all of the flower I used some tissue to soak up any areas that I felt had too much water in and then left it to dry.


I hope you agree that the finished flower is gorgeous!


 With this technique you are going to get a completely different outcome each time. I'm now looking for more stamp sets I can use with this! As usual the supplies I have used are shown below, both the Blended Bloom stamp and the Greetings thinlit dies are on the retirement list. Thank you for stopping by to read my blog.

Supplies:


7 comments:

  1. Really stunning and you have made the technique sound simple enough for me to try. Love the stamp you have used! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angie. I'm really glad you like it and that you're going to give it a try xx

      Delete
  2. Cat, I agree that your finished flower (and card) are gorgeous. this is such a wonderful technique! Thanks for showing how you make it and for joining us at Global Design Project too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Such a beautiful effect. I love the navy greeting against the purples too. Simply gorgeous. Thanks for playing along with Global Design Project

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Cat!! It's so good to try new techniques. Make sure you pin your project to the official Global Design Project Pinterest Board xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great colors, Cat! The technique is gorgeous on this flower! Thanks for playing along with this week's GDP sketch!

    ReplyDelete