Thursday 21 April 2016

Back to Basics

Morning all, well I'm pleased to say I've made it back for a second time this week! I actually woke up at half 4 this morning as little cub was crying out and once I'd settled him back down I thought I'd jump into my craft room as I know I'd only be grumpy if I tried to go back to sleep!

I found the challenge Back to Basics over at Daring Cardmakers earlier in the week and I kept trying to come up with ideas, I made one card that I might share at some point but I wasn't really happy with how it turned out, the colours didn't really work for the card. I think I was trying to over complicate things but couldn't think of anything else I could do until this morning. This card just popped into my head and wouldn't go away until I'd made it!



As the challenge was to go back to basics and only use the three primary colours I have only used four Stampin' ink pads and only ten products in total but I'm sure you could do this with a few less. In order to get the orange for the sand I mixed together daffodil delight and real red then used my aqua painters (any one else feel like a big kid when they get these out?) to do a wash over the bottom half of the card base. While still wet I added in some extra Daffodil Delight over the top to give it a nice golden effect. For my sun I initially used a stencil made with Whisper White card stock and the 1" circle punch to sponge on the orange I had mixed up. I then used the cut out circle as a mask so that I could do a wash of Marina Mist starting from my sand and working upwards so that it faded towards the top of the card. To then give my sun a hazy look I removed the mask and added a wash of Real Red over the top of the orange sun, 


I absolutely love how my Goose turned out, I have never used aqua painters to colour in a stamp before but because I had mixed my own colours and didn't want his legs to turn out green I thought I'd give it a go. I am very pleased with the watery effect especially on the grass, I feel that if it was a crisp image it just wouldn't have looked the same. The green for the grass was made from Night of Navy and Daffodil Delight. It was really nice to get back to basics and great a simple card with very few supplies. Thank you for stopping by to read my post, I hope you like what you've seen and that I've inspired you to give it a go yourself. Don't forget if you live near me and I run card classes from my home once a month.

Supplies:


2 comments:

  1. I like your clean and simple card. The scene you created is very peaceful and calm and goes well with your chosen sentiment. Thanks for sharing your card with the Daring Cardmakers this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miri, I am really pleased with how this card turned out!

      Delete