Saturday 12 May 2018

Kids Corner #1

Those of you that know me already or follow me on social media will know that I have two wonderful boys, Ethan and Rory, that mean the world to me. Yes, they can be a handful and often they make me want to scream and pull my hair out but I wouldn’t have them any other way. Ethan loves to join me with one of my other passions, crafting, whenever he can. He always prefers using my craft supplies as he thinks they’re special, this is probably to do with the fact that I have so much he always manages to find something new to try. So when Ethan came home from school with homework to make a dinosaur I thought this was a perfect opportunity for us to craft together.

This is a fun and simple project to make, Ethan took longer choosing which colours he wanted to use than actually making the dinosaur! If you would like to have a go at making your own dinosaur at home you will need some paper plates, a cardboard tube, inks, double sided tape, sponge brayers and a pattern based stamp set (we used Playful Backgrounds from Stampin’ Up!) I would also recommend covering your surface with a table cloth as the fun could get a bit messy!

Stampin Up Playful Backgrounds

To start with Ethan used the sponge brayers to transfer blue ink onto one of the paper plates, covering the entire surface. He then used the same ink to colour the cardboard tube. In a different ink colour, Ethan chose yellow, he sponged the edge of the second paper plate.

Stampin Up Playful Backgrounds

Stampin Up Playful Backgrounds

Stampin Up Playful Backgrounds

Ethan then chose which of the pattern stamps he wanted to use and in orange and green ink he stamped the images onto the blue plate. When he was happy with his design, Ethan used his scissors to carefully cut out a head, tail and some spikes from the yellow plate. At this point I was allowed to help! I cut the cardboard tube in half and then in each half I cut two slits, one opposite the other - this is to slide the paper plate into once done so they need to be roughly the same depth on each tube half.

Stampin Up Playful Backgrounds

Stampin Up Playful Backgrounds

Using the double-sided tape Ethan stuck on the head, tail and spikes ensuring they were all on one half of the plate and sticking out from the edge. He also placed a piece of tape across the middle and around the edge of one half of the plate. With the back of the tape removed he folded the plate in half and pressed down to make sure his dinosaur stayed stuck together. I then helped Ethan to slide the paper plate into the cuts in the cardboard tube. To finish him off Ethan used a felt tip pen to draw on a cheeky face and some toes.

Stampin Up Playful Backgrounds

Stampin Up Playful Backgrounds

Ethan was really pleased with his finished dinosaur and it was lovely to see him proudly carrying it to school the next day. 

Supplies:

No comments:

Post a Comment